Do you get together with family or friends for potluck dinners?
Is there a specific dish that you are asked to bring … frequently?
The hubby’s family always wants me to bring Carrot Cake.
They even request it for Thanksgiving … I believe that there is a law which mandates pie (not carrot cake) be served on Thanksgiving 😉
So, this past weekend I took my usual Carrot Cake … with a twist … the cream cheese is on the inside … no frosting on top!
CARROT CUPCAKES WITH CREAM CHEESE FILLING
For the cake –
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups unbleached flour (or all-purpose)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 – 8 ounce can crushed pineapple in juice (drained)
For the filling –
- 1 – 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened (I used light)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners (24).
- Make the cake batter – In a large mixing bowl beat oil, 1-1/2 cups sugar and 3 eggs together well.
- In a separate bowl sift or whisk together the flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and beat together.
- Add carrots, pineapple and mix well.
- Pour into prepared cupcake pans.
- Make the filling – In a medium bowl beat cream cheese and 1/3 sugar until creamy.
- Add 1 egg, raisins and mix well. Spoon on top of cupcake batter.
- Sprinkle each cupcake with nuts.
- Bake 30-35 minutes. Cool completely. Makes 24 cupcakes
THE CARROTS …
Beth at Hungry Happenings made the cutest little carrots with Almond m&m’s and Mike & Ike’s. I intended to copy her and place them on my carrot cupcakes Saturday evening. I went to the grocery store Saturday morning … no Almond m&m’s !!! So, I bought Peanut m&m’s … resulting in short plump carrots.
Use kitchen shears to cut a green Mike & Ike candy in half and snip the rounded end. Place the sticky end on the m&m!
Visit Hungry Happenings to check out the carrots and more detailed instructions.
The Peanut m&m’s were purchased in an m&m emergency. I picked out all the orange ones for the carrots. Then I quickly divided up the remaining m&m’s and gave them away, so that they wouldn’t jump in my mouth! Sunday morning is when the idea for the chicks popped in my head. I quickly found the bags of the m&m’s that were intended for the hubby and Son#2 … stole the yellow m&m’s … please don’t tell them 😉
What dish do you like to take to potlucks?
♦ I link up at these fun parties! ♦