This wedding cake kept me pretty busy last week. Out of all the wedding cakes that I have made … this is probably my favorite. It was inspired by a photo from the Wedding Chicks (Rustic Wedding Ideas).
I am not a professional cake maker and don’t claim to be one. I make wedding cakes only for family and friends (if they want it) … since I’ve known the groom for about 25 years and he made an excellent choice for a bride … they qualified :) They are such a cute couple!
We all have things that we enjoy or have a talent to do well … writing is not my mine … as you can probably tell ;) I was that kid in school that dreaded creative writing. If the teacher gave an assignment to write a 100 word essay … I was counting every word until I reached 100 words and felt relief when I reached it!
What I did enjoy was math, working with numbers! Here are a few numbers that you may enjoy …
- This wedding cake should serve 140 people
- 2 tiers were chocolate with raspberry filling, 1 tier was white with raspberry filling and 1 tier was carrot with cream cheese filling
- For the cakes …I used 31 eggs, 7 cups canola oil, 7 cups shredded carrots, 2-1/2 cups walnuts, 5 cups sugar, 5 cups flour, 2-1/2 cups raisins, 2-1/2 cups pineapple, 2-1/2 teaspoons salt, 5 teaspoons cinnamon, 5 teaspoons baking soda, 7 cake mixes and water
- For the frosting … I made 8 recipes of my Favorite Decorator Icing … 4 pounds butter, 8 pounds powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons salt, 4 tablespoons meringue powder, 8 teaspoons? (I didn’t measure … just poured) vanilla bean paste and about 3 cups heavy cream
- For the fillings … 2 recipes Cream Cheese Icing … 1 pound cream cheese, 1/2 cup butter, 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste, 2 pounds powdered sugar. For the raspberry filling … I bought 3 pounds at my local cake shop … I was tired!
I also enjoy baking … so here is the carrot cake recipe that was given to me years ago by my friend, Jane.
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup raisins*
- 1 cup crushed pineapple (drained)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour pan. (9″x13″ pan or 2-8″ round pans)
- In a large mixing bowl beat oil, sugar and eggs together well.
- In a separate bowl sift or whisk together the flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and beat together.
- Add carrots, raisins, pineapple, nuts and beat in by hand.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for 40-50 minutes for 9″x13″ or 30-40 minutes for 8″.
- Cool completely and frost with Cream Cheese Icing