Today, I am on my way to a surprise birthday celebration for my sister-in-law. She should be in the car and on the road right now … so this is still a secret from her. Red velvet is one of her favorites … along with cream cheese. I hope she will be surprised and enjoy her cupcakes!
I took my favorite Black Bottom Cupcakes, that I shared with you at Halloween … and made a few adjustments. I think we have a winner … at least that what my guys say!
First, make the cream cheese filling. In a bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla …
Stir in mini chocolate chips and set aside …
Now, make the red velvet layer. Place the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and use a whisk to combine …
Add the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla …
Whisk to combine …
Add red gel paste coloring. I like Americolor Super Red because it is very intense and does not have that bitter taste that some colorings do …
I used about 1/2 teaspoon of the red coloring …
Put paper liners in cupcake pans and distribute red velvet cake batter evenly between the 24 cupcakes …
Top off with the cream cheese mixture and bake …
Did you notice that I used several different liners? I conducted a very unscientific experiment. The liners with the pink and red hearts are supposed to be grease-proof. I don’t like the way you can still see darkness in the white areas of the design. I baked some in plain white liners. I placed these in the printed liners afterwards.
Red Velvet Bottom Cupcakes
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounce package 1/3 less fat cream cheese (or regular)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Red Velvet Cake Batter
- 1-2/3 cups unbleached flour (or all-purpose)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon Super Red soft gel paste food coloring (add more if necessary)
- Make cream cheese filling – in a small bowl mix cheese, egg, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips. Set aside.
- Make cake batter – in a mixing bowl whisk together all dry ingredients. Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla, then beat until smooth. Stir in red food coloring.
- Fill cupcake liners 1/3 full with red velvet cake batter. Spoon cheese mixture on top.
- Bake at 350° 30-35 minutes. Don’t over cook! Let cool completely before serving … in fact I like to refrigerate them. Makes 24 cupcakes.
These look Fantastic.
Thank you 😉
Brenda, these were soooo yummy. I do love red velvet and cream cheese. I will keep this recipe for future makings. Thanks again.
Happy Birthday … again!
Yummy! Oh, and that cake stand is darling! May I ask where you got it?
Thanks … I have had the stand for several years … I’m pretty sure I bought it at an outlet store, maybe Mikasa 😉
Pingback: Velvet bottom | Zanahoriadesig