Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing … a favorite for so many people.
I love cream cheese icing … can you see the flecks of vanilla bean in the photo above? I love, love, love it 🙂
Now, true confession time … I don’t know how to say this, so I’ll just get straight to the point … Red Velvet is not my favorite cake. There, I said it!
We are all entitled to our own opinion … right?
Please don’t hate me … I realize that I may be the only person on earth that feels this way.
Let me clarify, I don’t dislike red velvet … I find to be OK … it’s just not my first pick.
I have tried to love it … I’ve had red velvet at several bakeries, made by friends, etc. … but honestly, I found all of them to be OK, but they didn’t turn me into a lover. It’s my problem … no one’s fault.
I swear … I am not a cake snob … maybe I’m just weird 😉
I have used red velvet cake mixes several times and thought the results were fine … they didn’t turn me into a red velvet lover.
I really want to fit in .. and be a red velvet lover.
I really hate all these sentences that begin with “I” … but I’m voicing only my opinions 🙂
I gave it another try … made a few changes to a cake mix, which created a moister and more flavorful cake.
I’m on my way to be a red velvet lover … I’m not going to give up!
RED VELVET CUPCAKES … the sweet simple way
- 1 Red Velvet Cake Mix (I use Duncan-Hines)
- 2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 4 Eggs (at room temperature)
- 1/3 Cup Canola Oil
- 24 paper cupcake paper liners
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place paper liners in cupcake pans.
- Using a large mixing bowl, beat eggs slightly with an electric mixer. Add buttermilk and oil, stir to combine.
- Add cake mix and cocoa powder. Break up any large lumps of cake mix.
- Beat on low for 30 seconds or until moistened. Scrape sides of bowl. Beat on medium speed for 2 more minutes.
- Fill prepared cupcake pans.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Frost with cream cheese icing. Enjoy! Makes 24 cupcakes
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1/4 cup butter (softened)
- 1 – 8 ounce package of light (or regular) cream cheese (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- 1 pound (4 1/2 cups) confectioners powdered sugar
- Using and electric mixer – beat butter, cream cheese and vanilla until combined well.
- Add 1/2 of the sugar and beat well.
- Add remaining sugar and beat on medium speed until creamy.
Enough of my opinions … what’s your opinion? Are you a RED VELVET lover?