Has summer just begun … or is it just about over?
I feel like summer just began, but wait … Target has eliminated the patio furniture and brought in school supplies and Michael’s has started stocking Halloween stuff … the weather is telling me it’s still summer😉
I’ll try to make this short and sweet … summer ideas have been filling my head … today I’m sharing the first. I’ll keep sharing until my brain is empty or until everyone tells me to stop!
Do you like to go on cruises? I have never been on a cruise for several reasons … one is that I’m truly afraid of falling overboard … that’s probably why I had to have a life-preserver on my marshmallow sailboat … another one is that “Jaws” has scarred me for life! I have been on boats, but never so far away from land that I can’t see it. I do want to go on an Alaskan cruise … maybe I can handle it without an anxiety attack!
This is what you will need to make 12 sailboats on a graham cracker ocean …
- 1 pound of candy coating (such as CandiQuik) & candy coloring
- 3 Jumbo Marshmallows
- 12 StackerMallows
- 6 paper straws
- 12 graham cracker squares
- Clear Piping Gel + blue food coloring (or blue piping gel)
- 12 lollipop sticks for pops (omit graham crackers & piping gel)
- 12 Pep-o-mint LifeSavers
- Red Edible Marker (optional)
- Red licorice or other candy to make triangle flags
First make the sailboats …
- Cover your working surface with wax paper or parchment. Cut the straws in half.
- Use the edible marker to draw lines on the smooth side of LifeSavers (omit this step if you want plain life preservers).
- Use a serrated knife dipped in water to cut the JumboMallows into 4 half circles (boat hull).
- Cut each StackerMallows into 2 triangles, using the same method.
- Melt the CandiQuik. Reserve 4 ounces (1/4) melted candy white (to be used later) … color the remaining candy as desired (I did 4 ounces each, blue, yellow and orange). Dip tip of paper straw into colored candy and insert into top of boat hull, let dry.
- Dip boat hull into colored melted candy, cover marshmallow completely and tap off excess candy. (Insert lollipop stick if you are making pops) Place LifeSaver on boat and chill for a few minutes.
- Attach StackerMallow sails by using a little water on the edge of the marshmallow (cut edge facing out) and attaching to paper straw (about 1/2″ from top) … allow to dry.
- Use a little water to attach licorice flag to the top of the straw … allow to dry.
Let’s make the water …
- Color about 1/4 to 1/2 cup piping gel blue.
- Spread a light layer of white melted candy on a graham cracker square.
- Lay sailboat on melted white candy and allow to dry or chill for a few minutes.
- Use a small spreader or spatula to smear blue icing over the white candy. Note: the piping gel will stay gooey and really looks wet … like water should look!
I ♥ your comments!
♦ I share my stuff at these fun parties, do drop by! ♦