It’s berry season! Berry shortcake is my idea of a perfect Memorial Day, or any day, dessert … shortcake biscuits warm from the oven, topped with cool (and a little tangy) lemon sauce and fresh berries. I just discovered the “lemon secret sauce” by accident … a happy accident. This resulted in a new version of an old favorite … Very Berry Shortcake with Lemon Secret Sauce!
Do you ever have an idea that doesn’t turn out the way that you thought it would, but does result in something wonderful? Well, that’s my lemon secret sauce … it’s not really a secret … I just like the name 😉
I made the sauce for another recipe … thought that it would become much stiffer as it sat in the refrigerator … it didn’t and now I’m thankful for that! You know what they say … when life gives you creamy lemon sauce … make berry shortcake … or something like that 😉
The shortcake biscuits were made using this Bisquick recipe, feel free to use your favorite recipe or store-bought shortcake. I chose to slice the strawberries and sprinkle them with a few tablespoons of sugar, because that’s what my family likes. Usually the berries are naturally sweet and sugar is optional … it’s up to you.
Very Berry Shortcake with Lemon Secret Sauce
- 1 cup lemon curd (10.5 ounce jar or homemade)
- 8 ounce package of Neuchâtel cheese (softened)
- 1/2 to 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 cups mixed berries (sweeten with sugar if desired)
- 6 shortcake biscuits
- Make lemon sauce – Place lemon curd, cheese, 1/2 cup sugar in a medium-sized mixing bowl and mix well. Taste and add more sugar if desired. Cover bowl and chill until ready for use.
- Wash, drain and slice berries. Sweeten with sugar if desired. Refrigerate.
- Make shortcake biscuits.
- To serve – Split biscuits, spoon some lemon sauce on bottom half of biscuit, add some berries, add top of biscuit, top with more lemon sauce and berries. Makes 6 servings.
Note: This recipe makes plenty of lemon sauce and you will probably have some leftover. Keep sauce covered and stored in the refrigerator. I’m finding more ways to use the “lemon secret sauce” and will share them with you soon 😉
I apologize for my absence in the blogging world. My brain has been in pause mode … I’m thankful that it’s working again 😉 Personally, I’ve had some technical issues receiving emails (don’t know if I did something wrong) and have heard that some followers have had the same problems. Hopefully, everyone that signed up to receive emails, is actually getting them. Facebook followers – you may or may not see what I’m sharing (Facebook has changed some things), remember to “like, share or comment” or you may not see future posts.
Just a note – I used my favorite lemon curd from Trader Joe’s …
and chose to use Neuchâtel cheese (light/low-fat cream cheese) because it is softer than regular cream cheese, but I’m sure that regular would work too!
Do you like the flavor combo of lemon and berries?
♦ I share my stuff with these fun parties! ♦