Today is May 1st … what happened to April? Time is just flying by! It must be true that time flies when you’re having fun!
I made these lemon bars for the first time a few weeks ago for a family gathering. Timing was perfect … I wanted to try these bars and share them. I am happy that I made them and even happier that I shared them … so I wasn’t tempted to eat half the pan 😉
This is one of those things that is great to make and take … it transports so easily … bake it in a 9″ by 13″ pan … cut it, cover it and go!
CREAM CHEESE LEMON ZEST BARS
- 1 box lemon cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened (I used Neuchâtel 1/3 less fat)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (I used a Meyer lemon)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- Make the crust – Combine cake mix, oil and 1 egg until crumbly. Reserve 1 cup of crumble mixture and set aside. Spread remainder of crumbs in a 9″ x 13″ pan and pat down to form a crust. Bake at 350°F for about 10 minutes or until crust is lightly golden brown.
- Make the filling – Place cream cheese, juice, zest, 1 egg and sugar in a bowl, whip until fluffy and light. Spread over baked crumb crust and crumble the reserved cup of crumbs over the top. Return to oven and bake at 350°F for 25 minutes. Cool, cut into bars.
I ♥ your comments!
♦ This may be shared at these fun parties! ♦