OR THE DOUBLE RAINBOW VERSION FOR THE KIDS …
Green waffle batter + a little cocoa + cream cheese topping = green velvet waffles! Consider the warm maple syrup “the gold” at the end of this rainbow. This breakfast is a special little treat for St. Patrick’s Day.
Back in the old days, when my
boys sons were boys … I made green food for St. Patrick’s Day. Maybe green eggs and ham or pizza with bell peppers shaped like shamrocks … or something that was green or shaped like a shamrock.
I have never made green waffles before and never ever put sprinkles on waffles. I had a rule … I never bought colored cereal or cereal that had marshmallows or chocolate flavored cereal. Today, my
boys sons like to tease me about how I “deprived” them of such wonderful things … and I laugh at them! You see, I know they ate colored cereal when they slept over at friends’ homes. When the boys were teenagers, their older cousins even gave them a “gift” of some boxes of “forbidden cereal”.
Well … these waffles go against all of my former rules.
The boys know that I made these waffles … and nobody said a word!
Let’s get started … make the topping first. Put cream cheese and sugar in a small mixing bowl …
Mix well …
Add whipping cream and vanilla …
Whip it up …
Put the cream cheese mixture in a quart size zip top bag and place in the fridge while you are making the waffles …
For the waffles … whisk all the dry ingredients together in a medium-large mixing bowl …
Then combine all of the wet ingredients in a small bowl …
Add green food coloring …
I thought 3 drops would work …
Now add the wet mixture to the dry mixture … there will be some small lumps … and it’s not green enough …
Add more green coloring … that looks better …
Let the batter rest while you heat up the waffle iron. Take the cream cheese topping out of the fridge and cut off a small corner of the bag … look, an instant pastry bag …
Cook the waffles according to your waffle makers instructions. Serve with cream cheese topping, maple syrup and sprinkles!
F.Y.I. … if you have any leftover cream cheese topping, it makes a nice “not so sweet” frosting for cakes or cupcakes.
Green Velvet Waffles with Cream Cheese Topping
- 8 ounces light cream cheese (or regular) slightly softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar.
- Add vanilla and cream, beat well, until very creamy and thickened. Place in fridge until ready to use.
- 2 cups unbleached flour (or all-purpose)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon aluminum free baking powder (or regular)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-3/4 cups reduced fat milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- green food coloring
- Place all dry ingredients in medium-large mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Place all wet ingredients (except food coloring) in a small bowl and mix well.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix until combined, some small lumps will remain.
- Add green food coloring as desired.
- Cook according to waffle iron directions. Serve with cream cheese topping and maple syrup.
Makes 6-8 7-inch round waffles.
These sound really good as I love cream cheese, Just might have to try these.
I hope you enjoy them!