Since it’s winter and cold … soup seems to be appropriate.
Do you know Mimi’s Cafe? Well, I love their corn chowder. I don’t care if it’s 100° outside and the middle of August … if I go to Mimi’s … I have corn chowder.
In fact … I believe that it might be an “unwritten” law … if you go to Mimi’s, you must have corn chowder … oh, and a muffin.
I took their recipe … made a few adjustments to simplify and lighten it up. I made it for dinner last night and didn’t take step-by-step photos … but it’s so simple … you won’t need them.
P. S. Wednesday, January 18 is the last day to enter the giveaway … have you entered?
(adapted from Mimi’s Cafe)
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups cubed red potatoes (I don’t peel them)
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 can creamed corn (14 oz)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups fat-free half and half cream
- Chop onions, celery and potatoes … set aside.
- Melt butter in large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add in the flour and whisk until smooth and a roux forms (2 minutes).
- Add onions and celery and saute 5 minutes until soft but not brown.
- Add water, potatoes, corn kernels, creamed corn, sugar, salt and pepper. Using a wire whisk, whisk until smooth.
- Cover and simmer until potatoes are barely tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add fat-free half and half and simmer uncovered until soup has thickened to a creamy consistency, about 15 minutes.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if needed.
Serve with crusty bread or a muffin. Stores well … great next day … it may be even thicker!
“Come join SoupaPalooza at TidyMom and Dine and Dish sponsored by KitchenAid, Red Star Yeast and Le Creuset”
I have never heard of Mimi’s- but this chowder looks wonderful!
It sure was a nice and warm dinner 🙂 If you are ever near a Mimi’s Cafe … I recommend stopping.
I love corn chowder as much as I love corn pancakes! Perfect (chilly) time of year for chowder. Did you make the bread in the photo?
We all seem share the love of corn. I did not make the bread … someday I will 🙂
Yum!!! I love corn chowder, corn pudding, etc.
Corn pudding sounds sooo good right now 😉
Have been to Mini’s here in Arlington,Tx once and that was for breakfast. Great food but our young waitress wasn’t so good.
Thank U 4 sharing the recipe. I will have to give it a try.
I think we have all experienced some “not so good” waitresses and waiters … sometimes it makes a difference as to whether or not I return to a restaurant. Give the soup a try 🙂
Mimi’s is a favorite place of mine and yes the Corn Chowder is delicious. Brenda, I think I might try to make it.
Give it a try … it’s very easy 😉
Pingback: 20 Warm Soup Recipes - Jays Sweet N Sour Life