If you love tortillas and cheese … and who doesn’t? … quesadillas are an easy thing to whip up for breakfast, lunch, appetizers or even dinner! Since spinach tortillas are green, they’re perfect for St. Patrick’s Day! I made a Shamrock Quesadilla to share with you, took photos and ate it for lunch … love a good quesadilla, with some fruit on the side.
Yep, this was my lunch … spinach tortilla, sharp cheddar cheese and a pear … filling and tasty! Shamrock quesadillas could be used an appetizer … three sections, easy to pick up … great finger food … simply make however many shamrocks you need. This green treat and fresh fruit would make a great after school snack for the kiddos, too! A small flower cookie cutter was used to make a cute design in the top tortilla and to cut the core from the pear.
Substitutions are easy if you’re not a sharp cheddar cheese fan … any sliced cheese that melts fairly easy will work. If d’anjou pears aren’t available … how about a green apple, kiwi slice, celery stick or even a green pepper slice for a great stem!
This is what you will need to make the shamrock as shown …
- 1 spinach tortilla or wrap (about 10″ diameter)
- 1-2 slices sharp cheddar cheese (or cheese of your choice … maybe Irish cheddar)
- 1 d’anjou pear (or green apple, etc.)
- cookies cutters (about a 3″ heart and 1″ flower)
- Use the heart cookie cutter to cut 6 hearts from the spinach tortilla. Use the flower cookie cutter to cut a design in 3 of those hearts.
- Spray a skillet with non-stick spray. Lay the 3 plain hearts in the pan, arrange cheese (triangle shapes) on hearts. Top each one with a heart that has a cut out. You can add the little flowers to the pan to make little tortilla chips! Hint: you could use the microwave oven and skip the stovetop … whatever floats your boat 😉
- Cook on medium heat until cheese is melted (do not turn hearts over!). Use a lid to help melt the cheese faster.
- Slice the pear horizontally and use the flower cutter to remove the stem and seeds. Cut a sliver of one slice to use as the shamrock stem.
- Assemble on shamrock on plate and enjoy!
If you are beer drinker … pour a green one, pretend to be Irish (if your’re not really Irish) for a day and have a Shamrock Quesadilla … not that quesadillas are authentic Irish food 😉