Have you made a cake in a slow cooker or crock pot?
This was a first for me … something to check off my “to try” list!
This cake is moist, butterscotchy (if that’s a word), best served warm with vanilla ice cream and warm sauce. The sauce is made separate, from the cake, on the stove top.
I cooked this cake at home … placed the crock pot in an insulated bag and drove it to my sister-in-law’s home. It stayed warm and yummy in the crock pot for several hours.
I definitely will make a cake in a crock pot again! You will too, once you try it!
I almost forgot to mention … you mix everything up in the crock pot … fewer dishes to wash, yeah!!!
Slow Cooker Butterscotch Cake with Butterscotch-Caramel Sauce
for the cake –
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream (I used light)
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 16.5 ounce package yellow cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Classic Yellow)
- 3.4 ounce package instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 12 ounce package butterscotch chips
- Place 4 eggs in your crock pot (I used a 6 quart size) and beat well.
- Add sour cream, oil and water … mix well.
- Add cake mix and pudding mix … mix well.
- Stir in butterscotch chips. Cover and cook on high setting for 3 hours.
for the sauce –
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- Heat brown sugar, syrup and butter over low heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, stir in cream and vanilla. Allow to cool and stir before serving.
serves 12 (recipe adapted from 101 Slow-Cooker Recipes)
So what do think … I look forward to your comments!