Did you know that Friday, August 10 is National S’mores Day?
I just learned about this!
We need to celebrate … don’t we?
Since I don’t have a campfire going right now … I made S’mores Bars in the oven 😉
Graham cracker crust + soft melty chocolate + toasted marshmallows … it all adds up to s’mores bars!
I got this recipe from my friend, Dinaz, who got it from Betty Crocker. Both of us made a few changes.
I added peanut butter to the chocolate because … it keeps the chocolate soft and keeps the hubby, my Peanut Butter Man, happy 🙂 If you don’t want peanut butter … just leave it out … it still tastes great.
This recipe goes together very quickly and easily. Because of this … I have one word of advise … DO NOT TRY TO MAKE S’MORES BARS AND MULTI-TASK!!! I will explain later.
This is what you will need …
- Sugar Cookie mix
- Graham Cracker Crumbs
- Milk Chocolate Chips
- Peanut Butter
- Mini Marshmallows
Combine the cookie mix and graham cracker crumbs …
Stir in melted butter …
Smoosh (that’s a technical term :)) or spread in pan and bake …
WARNING – DO NOT talk on the phone with your friend, Cathy, and forget to set the timer or to take a photo of the baked crust 🙂
While the crust is baking, add peanut butter to chocolate chips …
Microwave for about 1 minute and stir …
Spread chocolate mixture on baked crust that was baked a few minutes too long … because I was on the phone and forgot to set the timer … unless you like it crispy …
Sprinkle marshmallows over chocolate and put in the oven on broil …
MY FINAL WARNING – DO NOT TALK ON THE PHONE WITH YOU FRIEND WHILE TALKING TO THE HUBBY IN THE LIVING ROOM AND HAVE MARSHMALLOWS IN THE BROILER! Multi tasking is not always a good thing …
I should have been watching the toasting a little more carefully … I wanted even toasting … on the other hand … maybe I made everyone happy … some of my guys like marshmallows that are REALLY toasty 😉
For the record … the hubby wants his bars cold … Son #2 wants no marshmallows … Son #3 thought they were too crispy … I need to stop multi tasking while baking 😉
Peanut Butter S’mores Bars
(adapted from Betty Crocker)
- 1 pouch (1 lb 1.5oz) Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups milk chocolate chips (18 oz)
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 4-1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- Heat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, stir together cookie mix and crumbs. Stir in melted butter until soft dough forms. Press into ungreased 10″ x 15″ (jelly roll) pan.
- Bake 13-18 minutes or until set. The longer you bake the crust … the crispier it becomes and almost toffee like.
- Add chocolate chips and peanut butter to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 1 minute on high and stir. Pour peanut butter/chocolate mixture over crust and spread evenly over crust.
- Set oven control to broil. Sprinkle marshmallows over melted chocolate. Broil with top 5 to 6 inches from heat 20 to 30 seconds or until marshmallows are toasted. (Watch closely; marshmallows will brown quickly.) Cool 10 minutes, cut and serve or cool completely and store tightly covered.
I did place some room temperature bars in the microwave for 15 seconds. That made the chocolate melty and the marshmallows puff up …