This was my gift to my hubby, a.k.a. The Peanut Butter Man, for Valentine’s Day. It may seem like a strange gift … but he was a very happy and surprised man! I must give credit to him, he invented it … and wasn’t even aware of it!
Let me give you a little history of this creation – When we have family gatherings, certain people are requested to bring certain things. Sally (the hubby’s oldest sister) was usually expected to bring fudge, now her daughter Lorena has taken over that duty. I was usually expected to bring Rice Krispies Treats (I got off easy!), now my Son #2 has taken over that duty. Lorena and Son #2 have made an arrangement to bring their “specialties” at the same time. Lorena has been known to hide the Rice Krispies Treats (for herself!) and Son #2 has been seen making himself a “doggie bag” of fudge. I think these two cousins have a conspiracy going on!
Now … The Peanut Butter Man comes in … he loves everything! You know how some people don’t ever want to combine certain foods, or don’t want different foods to touch each other on a plate. Well, my hubby is the complete opposite. He makes “creations”. One of his more recent creations is … a Rice Krispies Treat + peanut butter fudge + chocolate fudge … all stacked and smashed together! But he only gets this “creation” at Thanksgiving and Christmas, because that’s when Lorena brings the fudge!
So, as a special treat … I made this for him for Valentine’s Day. I don’t know if I should give Lorena, Son #2 or The Peanut Butter Man credit or blame for “Double Decker Fudge with a Krispie Crust”!
Here are the directions … sorry for missing some steps with photos … I got sidetracked and forgot to take a few pics … oops!
This is what you will need …
- Mini marshmallows
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Peanut butter chips
- Evaporated milk
- Rice Krispies cereal
First, grease (with butter) a 9″ x 13″ pan, set aside. Make the Rice Krispies Treats and flatten in the prepared pan. Make the chocolate fudge (see peanut butter fudge pics below) and spread over the Rice Krispies Treats. Now … I have photos!
(Silicone spatulas are very handy for this project)
Make peanut butter fudge – put the following in a large bowl – peanut butter chips, marshmallows, butter and vanilla …
Cook sugar and evaporated milk … pour over chip/marshmallow mixture … enjoy the wonderful smell of the butter and vanilla as the hot mixture hits it …
Beat it well …
Until everything is melted and combined very well …
Spread the peanut butter fudge over the chocolate fudge …
I sprinkled mini chocolate chips … just because it added a little somethin’ somethin’ to the top …
Please don’t hold me responsible if you suffer a “sugar high” after eating too much Double Decker Fudge with a Krispie Crust … this stuff is
evil heavenly dangerous, LOL 🙂
Double Decker Fudge with a Krispie Crust
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 8 cups mini marshmallows
- 1-1/4 cups butter + more for greasing pan
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 12 ounce bag semi-sweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
- 1 10 ounce bag peanut butter chips (1-2/3 cups)
- 4-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- mini chocolate chips for garnish
- Grease a 9″ x 13″ pan and a spatula with butter and set aside.
- Make the Rice Krispies crust – In a large (3 quart) saucepan … melt 1/4 cup butter over low heat, add 4 cups marshmallows, stir constantly until marshmallows are totally melted, remove from heat, add Rice Krispies cereal and stir until completely combined, spread in prepared pan. Use buttered spatula to press into pan.
- Make chocolate fudge – In a large heatproof bowl, pour 2 cups marshmallows, 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and chocolate chips. In a medium (2 quart) saucepan combine 2-1/4 cups sugar and 3/4 cup (1/2 can) milk, bring to a boil over medium-high heat, boil 10 minutes (adjust heat as needed). Pour boiled mixture over marshmallow/chip mixture, stir well, until everything is melted and combined well, pour over crust and spread evenly.
- Make peanut butter fudge – Follow directions above, substituting peanut butter chips for the chocolate ones. Spread over chocolate fudge layer.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top. Let cool completely before cutting.
Brilliant!! I love peanut butter fudge!!!
Thanks, I wish that I didn’t love it so much.
I would like to roll around in a VAT of this! YUM – seriously all my favorite flavors.
I feel like I am rolling … I ate too much 😉
To the peanut butter man!!! Great idea. I feel like I gained weight just looking at your photos. BAM
The Peanut Butter Man says, thank you, thank you very much.
Oh my heck! I’m so making these!!!! YUM!
You won’t regret it 😉
This sounds delicious and would definitely be a hit in this house! It will be on my list of desserts to try.
I am flattered that it made your list 😉
I really do think I might be in love with you over this recipe. It. Is. Amazing!!!
I think that’s just the fudge talking 🙂
Fabulous! I hope you don’t mind, I’ve added you to my blogroll for Blogtastic Food Finds.
Thank you, I am so excited!
The Peanut Butter Man has made a great discovery. I too like to mix the fudges together and the rice crispie treats do add a good taste. Can’t wait to try them.
Let me know how it turns out … and give us your opinion 🙂
i want to try these too!!!!
I hope you like them 😉