m&m’s Chicks

Sometimes things just happen …

m&m's Chicks

This one came close to not happening!

Sunday morning, this chick was born … in my head, anyway … then things went array … life almost got in the way of its birth.

• I made and drank coffee.
  • I found a puddle of honey in a kitchen cabinet … what a mess!  Warning – do not turn an almost empty, tightly closed, squeeze bottle of honey upside down … it will probably leak.
  • I made waffles.
  • Son #3 (working on masters degree) asked the Peanut Butter Man and me to proofread a final paper on American bureaucracy!  Yes, me … the person who uses terms like easy peasy and super simple!!!  What was he thinking?  I put on my glasses and pulled out my highlighter … like I knew what I was doing ;)
  • I made macaroni salad, while the Peanut Butter Man was under the kitchen sink trying to repair the leak … it is so nice that he is a handy man!  I was the plumbing assistant … as in – hold this, twist that, pass me a towel.
  • I made lunch for the plumber hubby Peanut Butter Man.
  • There was no water in the kitchen for 3 hours and the bucket is still under the sink … parts are ordered.
  • Finally … about 4:00 the birth of the chick began … no eggs involved!

Let me show you how easy peasy and super simple it is to make these chicks …

001

You will need -

002

1. Use melted orange candy to make a dot (base) on wax paper.  Note – I used a squeeze bottle, but use whatever you have … a pastry bag, toothpick, etc. … whatever works for you ;)
  2. Place a peanut m&m on base and let harden.
  3. Use orange candy to make a beak.
  4. Use marker to make dot eyes.
  5. Use marker to draw wings, if desired.

Easy Peasy Easter Basket Cupcakes with Sour Punch handles

(I made this cupcake in about 5 minutes … used whipped cream as icing … the chicks started to sink.  I recommend using a buttercream icing … better option!)

Regarding the wings … I couldn’t decide … I love the chicks both ways … I want to hold them and pet them … chicks are so cute and roly poly … OK, I’ll stop now ;)

So, I conducted a very unscientific survey …

• Son #3, my sister and 2 friends vote for wings
  • The Peanut Butter Man and 3 friends vote for no wings
  • Son #2 says it doesn’t matter

wing or no wing

So … Wings or No Wings … that is the question!  What’s your vote?

I link up at these fun parties!  ♦

Gallery | This entry was posted in Easter and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

77 Responses to m&m’s Chicks

1. Gina says:

Those are the cutest ever!!!

2. Pattie says:

I love it

Pattie Sent from my iPhone

3. Carolyn says:

Those are cute! I feel for anyone who is dealing with someone working on a masters. Been there, done that.

4. Poor chicks, drowning in whipped cream. Otherwise, this is absolutely brilliant, Brenda. Glad to hear, too, that you’re living a normal life, with leaks (honey and sink) and all!

5. Trish Butler says:

These are adorable. I like the wings.

6. definitely the WINGS! but i’d hold and pet either too-these are a must on my million and one easter things to do list! good luck on your sink-at least these little chics will make you happy :)

7. ColleenB. says:

Now them are just darn right adorably cute..
    On your cupcakes, you could always color some coconut in green,sprinkle some on top and then set your chicks in the ‘grass’. Might help in keeping them from sliding off that way.
    Let’s see, I think I’ll ‘wing’ :} it and maybe do some with wings and some without. Getting right down to it, I must say I Do like the wings.
    ColleenB.

8. Oh these are so adorable. I like a mixture with and without wings as it gives them personality.

9. sidney says:

luv the little chicks such a cute idea, both are cute wings and without wings, luv colleen’s idea too sprinkle some coconut for grass….not sure if i can reach the stage of a chick though, cause as the M&M bag is open its popped in my mouth….:)

10. Morgan says:

Wing or no wing they are both adorable!!! I love this :)

11. Jennifer Haidu says:

Your posts bring so much JOY! Love how you share about your family and involve them in your “passion.” I vote for the wings – what if you rounded them more? I am going to try this one! The cupcake finale is icing on the cake! Ha! Also, you could make a nest – out of chow mein noodles coated w/butterscotch chips? Or coconut flakes, Special K ??? Can’t wait for you next moment of “downtime” when you delight us all again! Thank you for sharing your gift – and it truly is a gift!!

12. brenda says:

wing

13. Manda says:

They are both adorable but the wings win with a very slight edge. Love them!

14. Kim says:

Is it okay to eat the marker?

15. Ellen says:

These are sooo cute, think i will make them with Jessica, my Granddaughter. And I can’t decide wings or no wings so I’ll just go with both. Thnaks again Brenda for your creative ideas.

16. Maysem says:

Oh my goodness these are so cute!! Pinning and sharing on my FB page!

17. Tavette says:

Both with and without wings are cute, but wings make it impossible to not know they’re chicks.

You could put them on a small round orange colored cracker instead of making their base out of orange colored chocolate to make them an appetizer vs a mini dessert.

Tavette.

18. kat says:

These are super cute! I vote no wings!

19. Gotta “pin” this one – I love the wings but I’m clumsy when drawing on stuff life round food so mine will probably need to be without wings because this 73-yr-old definitely has to make a bunch of these for quickie Easter give-away’s – it also means I will be forced, yes, forced to eat those other peanut m&m’s – the ones that are not chick-colored but it’s a sacrifice I will have to make (sigh).

• I get it … when I draw, I want it to be perfect and as you can tell … my drawing is not perfect! Don’t eat all of the m&m’s … there is another project in the short future ;)

• Thanks for the heads’ up about the remaining m&m’s (if they do, indeed, exist)…can’t wait. I gave up chocolate for Lent and will go nutz on it as of Easter Sunday…again, these are adorable – can’t wait to get the edible marker – have to find one of those.

• Be strong … resist the m&m’s ;) You can find the markers at most places that sell cake and candy supplies or online (Amazon). If you can’t find the markers, try melted dark chocolate and a toothpick!

20. petit4chocolatier says:

You are amazing!! This is so cute and I love your story! Wings definitely. I do like both though :)

21. Pingback: Great Ideas -- 35 Fabulous Easter Projects!! -- Tatertots and Jello

22. Shandy says:

These are ADORABLE! Found you at TT&J, and just subscribed to your blog. Pinning this for Easter, as well. Thanks for sharing!

23. Adorable. Pinned to my Springtime ~ Easter board. Would love you to visit or link up anytime on homework.

Join me on Tuesdays for The Inspiration Board {link party}

24. Rita says:

Those are so adorable. Pinning them! Thanks for sharing!

25. BruCrew Life says:

Those are seriously tooooo cute!!! I actually like both versions, with and without the wing!!! Such a fun Easter treat!!!

26. These are WAY to adorable. Your’e so creative!

27. Pingback: Trick or Treat Tuesday #10 - Inside BruCrew Life

28. These are so cute!! I am spending Easter with Daughter in GA and the first thing I’m going to make are these cute chicks:) My Grandson will love them! Thanks for sharing:) Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

29. Gwen says:

Those are so so cute. Thanks for sharing them with us

30. Pingback: Sundae Scoop Top 20 Spring Ideas | I Heart Nap Time - How to Crafts, Tutorials, DIY, Homemaker

31. Simplee Sue says:

WINGS!!! Put wings on these little cuties. Thank you for sharing.

We may have met by chance…but we become friends by choice.

32. Michelle says:

OMG, these are just too cute for words! I vote for wings, naturally ;) , and will try to save the other Ms for your next rumored project. Visiting from I Heart Naptime, new follower and I’m pinning this — thanks!

33. Pingback: Cheep Chicks! | The Domestically Impaired Guide to the Retro Kitchen Arts

34. Pingback: 25 Ideas for Easter Crafts and Recipes - Just Us Four

35. Pingback: M & Ms Chicks | the Roost

36. Dassi87 says:

I love this idea and already bought the stuff to make some today =)
    I guess my boyfriend and family will love to find them on their plates for easter brunch =)

Thank you for charing!

Best wishes from Germany,
    Stefanie

37. Peggy Martin says:

Variation is the cutest. You could even add some bunny ears and draw a string coming down from the ears, around to the front of the neck with a bow in the front :)

38. Pingback: Cheep Chicks!