Cranberry Sauce … homemade or canned?
My grandma always used canned and that’s what I did … until a few years ago. We always had the whole berry variety for Grandpa and jellied for the rest of us. I was young and helped out a little in the kitchen … my personal goal was to slide the jellied sauce out of the can in one piece, so that the lines on the can left an impression on the cranberry sauce. Then I would slice it and try to fan the slices on the plate to look pretty! Then I grew up … learned to like whole berry cranberry sauce and eventually made it myself!
Cranberry sauce is so easy to make … can’t believe that it took me so long to give it a try! It can be made a day or so ahead and kept covered in the fridge … very convenient for the busy holidays.
Since fresh cranberries are not always available … I buy a big bag at Costco and divide it up into 12 ounce bags and freeze them, so that I always have cranberries available.
Simple Cranberry Sauce
- 12 ounces of fresh (or frozen, thawed) cranberries (about 3-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- Pick over cranberries … look for stems and any possible bad berries, then rinse.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium (2 to 3 quart) sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until most of the cranberries pop. The sauce will be slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl and cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. The mixture will thicken as it cools. Makes 2 cups.
recipe adapted from Mary Engelbreit’s ‘Tis The Season Holiday Cookbook
My personal recommendation … make sure that will have enough Cranberry Sauce for leftovers and make this for yourself …
my favorite Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
I like to have a little cranberry sauce on each bite of turkey … how do you eat your cranberry sauce? You know that I ♥ your comments!
♦ I share my stuff with these fun parties ♦