I have shared my love of Cracker Barrel with you in the past and the disappointing fact that there are none in California :( The hubby and I took a little Arizona spring break trip a few weeks ago … you know what that meant … a Cracker Barrel stop! These are my three rules that must be followed at the stop … shop the store, eat some fried apples and hash brown casserole. Well … I didn’t get enough hash brown casserole … decided to make it at home! I have made it before using a copycat recipe … this time I changed it up … partly by choice … part because the grocery store was out of shredded hash browns! This resulted in a new favorite at my house … Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole … my way …
Since my grocery store was out of frozen shredded hash browns, I bought the cube shaped ones … Ore Ida called them “southern style”, but I’m sure that any frozen hash browns would work just fine. Basically, this is potatoes and cheese … two of my favorite things!
A large cast iron skillet was the perfect choice for Hash Brown Casserole, but a baking dish works great too! I did lighten things up a little bit by using low-fat sour cream and low-fat/low sodium soup, regular works just fine if you choose it.
We ate this with Easter Sunday brunch and leftovers with dinner a few days later … it’s big and super simple!
Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole – the SweetSimpleStuff way
- 1 (2-pound) package frozen hash browns (I used cubed), thawed
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (I used a sweet onion)
- 1 cup low-fat (light) sour cream
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed “healthy choice” cream of chicken soup (low-fat, low sodium)
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese (I used sharp cheddar) – divided
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a 12″ cast iron skillet or a 9″ x 13″ baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spread the potatoes in the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in a medium bowl in the microwave. Add sour cream and soup, mix well. Mix in onions and 1 cup of the cheese, then spread over the potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining 2 cups of cheese.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until completely warm and the cheese is melted. If you want a golden brown top … carefully broil for a few minutes, it browns quick!
recipe adapted from CopyKat Recipes
This is what I order at Cracker Barrel …
I consider the hash brown casserole as my main dish, then eat my biscuit covered with fried apples as dessert … call me crazy if you want, but I have convinced others to “make dessert” too ;)
We did a few more things on our trip … took a train to the Grand Canyon, drove thru the red rocks of Sedona and saw Montezuma’s Castle …
We did get our “kicks on Route 66″ … stayed at a “park in front of your room” motel, ate a “burger in a basket” while sitting at the counter of a diner and saw a ton of Mustangs on their way to Las Vegas for the Mustang 50th Anniversary celebration. I was amazed at the wildlife in the Grand Canyon … squirrels that have become so accustomed to humans, very brazen! We were eating lunch and watched these two little guys …
They actually startled a couple that moved so quickly, that they didn’t even get a chance to pick up all of their trash. Might be my favorite photo of the whole trip :)
This was my first trip to the Grand Canyon … AMAZING … highly recommend it!
Have you been to the Grand Canyon … or had Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole … what about fried apples on biscuits?
♦ I share my stuff with these fun parties ♦