I am not perfect … my Firecracker Pops are not perfect and I’m OK with that!
This is how it started …
My friend, Kathleen, at Step by Step in the Kitchen found this candy at Walgreens …
and challenged me to make something with it! I accepted this challenge and drove off to Walgreens to buy the red, white and blue Twizzlers!
I had an idea … a plan … the fun of Twizzlers is pulling them apart … don’t you agree?
Twizzlers will work great as the top of firecrackers … right?
Jumbo marshmallows will make great firecrackers … right?
Then reality set in … marshmallows are not perfectly shaped and Twizzlers are uncontrollable … heck, even the star sprinkles aren’t perfect …
Then I remembered what my friend, Dinaz, says “It’s only sugar”.
Does it need to be perfect? I don’t think so.
Does it need to be fun? Absolutely!!!
I say these firecrackers are fun, sweet, a little wonky, kind of goofy and they make me smile!
This is what you will need to make 12 imperfect firecrackers …
- 12 Jumbo Mallows (extra-large marshmallows)
- 1 package Red, white and blue Twizzlers (4.2 oz.)
- Jumbo Star Sprinkles
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup each red sugar and blue sugar
- Not pictured – 12 lollipop sticks, 1 cup water
- Equipment – wax paper lined tray, a toothpick, paper towels, a small serrated knife
- Dip the serrated knife in water and insert it into the center of the marshmallow almost to the other end.
- Cut Twizzlers in half and insert a half into the marshmallow.
- Water acts as glue for the sugar to stick to the marshmallow. Dip the marshmallow in the water … getting it wet where you want to apply the sugar. Use a paper towel to dry off excess water.
- Dip the marshmallow into the colored sugar. Separate the strands of the Twizzler.
- Use the toothpick to add a drop of water on the marshmallow to attach stars. Dip tip of lollipop stick in water and insert into bottom of marshmallow … take care to avoid the Twizzler!
When I started this project, I did not plan on making pops. In my mind, everything is perfect … in reality, it’s not perfect. I started taking photos, things were falling … not going as planned … I didn’t want that to happen to you … I improvised … put it on a stick and was much happier! It’s not perfect … but it worked for me
I ♥ your comments!
♦ This may be share at these fun parties ♦