Recently, I was trying to dream up something to make for the 4th of July … I was frustrated … my brain wasn’t working, again!
When I least expected it … and stopped thinking, this came to mind …
The flag could be served just the way it is or maybe to decorate the top of a cake, Rice Kripsie Treats, brownies, etc.
This project also gave me the opportunity to use CandiQuik for the first time. (Miss CandiQuik was so kind to send me some a few weeks ago.) I was very pleased with the Vanilla CandiQuik, it has a nice flavor, was easy to melt and comes in its own melting tray … perfect for dipping licorice!
This is what you will need to make one flag …
- 8 ounces melted Vanilla CandiQuik (you will have some left)
- 5 ounce pack Red Vines (or 13 vines)
- 4 ounces melted blue candy melts (or color CandiQuik with oil based or powder coloring)
- White non-pareils (or other sprinkles for stars)
- A tray lined with wax paper or parchment
- Work on prepared tray. Mark 7 pieces of licorice at 3-1/2″ (each licorice piece is about 8″ long). This is a guide for dipping the blue candy.
- Dip the licorice in melted blue candy, shake off excess candy, lay on prepared tray, add a few white sprinkles, chill for a few minutes.
- Take 3 of the blue dipped pieces of licorice and dip in white candy, tap off excess, lay on tray, chill. Dip 3 pieces of plain licorice in white candy, tap off excess, chill.
- No matter how hard you to try, sometimes a little puddle of excess candy forms. After the candy has hardened, use a paring or small knife to trim it up :)
♦ This may be shared with these fun parties ♦
I look forward to your comments !