Today, I made birds sitting on a branch … for you!
These little candy birds have been in my mind ever since I made the M&M Chicks and Sugar Swings made Birds on a Wire! When I made the chicks, I couldn’t decide if the chicks should have wings … I asked for opinions … and you gave opinions! These chubby little birdies have wings!
Some projects are more fun than others … this was definitely a fun one! I smiled the whole time while I was making these birds! They remind me of tiny little toys … I want to play with them, hold them, talk to them … the hubby ate them without a second thought!
Making M&M birds is more like an arts and crafts project … it’s like a paper and paste activity using candy instead of glue and paper. It’s pretty easy if you ask me! My biggest problem was my own fat fingers … small kids’ hands are probably better at this
This is what you will need …
- Cupcakes (Tomorrow, I will post the Spice Cake Recipe that I used)
- Snyder’s Braided Twists – Honey Wheat Pretzels (or any short thick pretzel)
- Peanut M&M’s
- Colored Candy Melts/candy coating (yellow or orange for beak and feet, other colors for attaching wings)
- Candy Coated Sunflower Seeds
- Black Edible Marker
- Toothpicks to apply melted candy (or what ever works for you)
- Work on a tray lined with wax paper or parchment. Melt colored candy coating. Lay pretzel flat side down and place a small amount of melted yellow/orange candy on top of pretzel … this will be the bird’s feet.
- Place an M&M on top of the “feet” and hold until set. I tried to place the M&M so that the white “M” was not showing.
- Use a tiny amount of melted candy to attach sunflower seeds to the sides of the M&M (hold until set) … creating wings.
- Use the black marker to make dot eyes and yellow/orange melted candy to make a beak. Maybe you even want to make a couple of birds on a branch!
- Pick up your birds and tell them how cute they are
This really is easy peasy once you get going and I find them so stinkin’ cute …
Remember to stop by tomorrow for the spice cake recipe!
♦ These little birds may be shared at these fun parties ♦