Hello everyone, it has been so long since we have talked. I do apologize for my absence. Summer has come and gone … fall is finally here … I am planning on getting back in the kitchen. This is what has been going on …
- I cleaned out closets, cupboards, drawers … found stuff that I forgot I owned … threw some in the trash, donated some to the Salvation Army, tried to organize what was left.
- Shredded a ton of paperwork.
- We are finishing up some home renovations that have been going on forever. Explanation – we are slow DIYers … we can tear down a wall in 10 minutes … but take 10 years to rebuild it. Which gives me time to change my mind (about 500 times) on how I want it rebuilt
- Our helpful dog stuck her head and paws in a box of drywall mud … I tried to clean her up before it dried … some white powder stayed on her nose for days … should have taken a photo … she looked like she had been snorting illegal substances
- Shredded more paper.
- Went to Las Vegas and found Elvis … or Elvises or Elvi?
- Also found this huge chocolate dragon, …
(and my hubby on his scooter)
- My hubby was able to wear two shoes this week (YEAH), for the first time since his ankle surgery back in April.
- Felt guilty for not blogging.
- Felt extremely guilty for not visiting and commenting on other blogs.
- Saw the Space Shuttle Endeavour fly over JPL/NASA … absolutely AMAZING …
- Visited with family and friends that we don’t get to see as often as we would like.
- Finally had the time to read a Southern Living magazine which brings me to these …
PEANUT BUTTER MISSISSIPPI MUD BROWNIES
(adapted from Southern Living)
CHOCOLATE BROWNIE LAYERS -
- Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge Brownie mix (or your favorite brand) & additional ingredients as listed on package (eggs, oil, water)
PEANUT BUTTER LAYER -
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup unbleached (or all-purpose) flour
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
CHOCOLATE FROSTING -
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Prepare chocolate brownie batter according to directions on package. Spread half of brownie batter in the bottom of prepared pan. Set remaining batter aside.
- Prepare peanut butter layer - Beat peanut butter, butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add 2 eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Stir together baking powder and flour, and add to peanut butter mixture, beating at low-speed just until blended.
- Spoon peanut butter mixture over brownie batter; top with remaining brownie batter, and swirl together.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Remove from oven to a wire rack; sprinkle with marshmallows.
- Prepare chocolate frosting – Cook butter, cocoa powder and milk in a saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly, 4 minutes or until slightly thickened; remove from heat. Whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle all of the frosting over brownies. Cool completely. Makes about 30 servings.
♦ If you like cold cake, I suggest placing the brownies in the fridge … yum
I am ready to make some things for Halloween … how about you? I♥ your comments … please leave one!
I have to get back to work … there is cabinet waiting for me to paint it
. I don’t think we will ever finish!