I made these cupcakes in honor of National Pie Day, January 23.
Personally … I could eat pie every day … but that’s just not going to happen. But I will eat one of these cupcakes to celebrate!
The original recipe came from Southern Plate … where they are called muffins. I did make a few adjustments. The first time I made this recipe was for a friend who was following a gluten-free diet … so I substituted almond meal* for the all-purpose flour. They turned out so good I never made them any other way. In my opinion, they are so similar to pecan pie (but not quite as sweet) … they must be called dessert … and have become pecan pie cupcakes.
This what you will need … chopped pecans, almond meal*, brown sugar, eggs, butter, vanilla, paper cupcake liners and oil spray
Combine the pecans, brown sugar and almond meal and make a well (it’s difficult to see in the photo, but it’s there) in the center …
Beat eggs until foamy …
Add the vanilla and melted butter …
Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture …
Stir until just combined … doesn’t that look like pecan pie filling?
Place liners in cupcake pan and coat with cooking spray … please don’t skip the spray. Fill the cups to about 2/3 … and bake …
Here is what they look like after baking …
Next step … this is entirely optional … add a “crimped pie crust edge” with a little icing. This takes about 1/4 cup of icing … I didn’t even use a tip … I just snipped off the tip of the bag …
I liked the doing the dots better than the zig-zag design …
Here is the finished product … I recommend eating it with a fork … it is ooey and gooey and sticky and very yummy … you won’t want to miss a crumb
* I buy almond meal (it is made with almonds that still have skin on them) at Trader Joe’s. You can also use almond powder (which is lighter in color) or make your own using your food processor. Or use all-purpose flour … they will still be good!
Pecan Pie Cupcakes
(adapted from Southern Plate)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup almond meal (or all-purpose flour)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl, make a well in the center of the mixture.
- Beat eggs until foamy the add the vanilla and melted butter to the eggs.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry mixture … stir until just combined.
- Place paper liners in cupcake pan and coat with cooking spray. Fill cups to about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 – 25 minutes. Makes 9 cupcakes.